2A Internship: Extending the DeX API for enabling interoperability between IoT devices
Internet of Things (IoT) applications consist of IoT devices (e.g., occupancy counters, light sensors, WiFi APs, thermometers, video cameras, etc.) that employ different APIs and protocols (e.g.., CoAP and MQTT) to push/pull raw data. Existing IoT frameworks and platforms enable the interoperability of such devices via the use of software artifacts (wrappers or mediating adapters). Such artifacts enable the conversion of protocol primitives, data formats or even information semantics.
In this project, we will leverage the DeXMS (Data eXchange Mediator Synthesizer) tool (https://gitlab.inria.fr/dexms) that facilitates the development of such wrappers through a semi-automated solution. This includes a web interface where developers will be able to define the interaction and information semantics of an IoT device. DeXMS relies on the DeX API, which implements interactions over a number of IoT middleware protocols (HTTP, CoAP, MQTT, etc.). The selected team will extend the DeX API using existing implementations of IoT protocols in order to introduce interesting IoT scenarios.
The selected candidate will have to work on the following:
- Analyze the DeX API and its implementations using the existing documentation and code base.
- Get familiar with existing APIs and libraries of well known IoT protocols (e.g., MQTT, CoAP, ZeroMQ, etc).
- Extend the DeX API using the existing IoT protocol APIs and libraries (e.g., Californium, Eclipse Paho, JeroMQ, etc).
- Implement interesting IoT scenarios using the DeXMS tool.
Last year of engineering school.
Skills & qualities
- Knowledge of Object Oriented Programming.
- Knowledge of Java.
- Ability to analyze existing software code base.
- Familiarity with development tools for managing and building software projects (Eclipse) and version control systems (Git).
- Knowledge of well known APIs (e.g., MQTT, CoAP, REST) is a plus but not compulsory.
- Starting date: June 2021
- Duration:: 2 months
- Location: Telecom SudParis, Evry (https://www.telecom-sudparis.eu/en/)
Georgios Bouloukakis, georgios.bouloukakis AT telecom-sudparis.eu