Stateful Serverless Computing with Crucial
Team work: Pierre Sutra presented "Stateful Serverless Computing with Crucial" at 4A312 the 15/10/2021 at 10h30.
Serverless computing greatly simplifies the use of cloud resources. In particular, Function-as-a-Service (FaaS) platforms enable programmers to develop applications as individual functions that can run and scale independently. Unfortunately, applications that require fine-grained support for mutable state and synchronization, such as machine learning (ML) and scientific computing, are notoriously hard to build with this new paradigm. This talk presents Crucial, a system that aims at bridging this gap and simplify the programming of highly-parallel stateful serverless applications. Crucial retains the simplicity of serverless computing. It is built upon the key insight that FaaS resembles to concurrent programming at the scale of a datacenter. Accordingly, a distributed shared memory layer is the natural answer to the needs for fine-grained state management and synchronization. Crucial allows to port effortlessly a multi-threaded code base to serverless, where it can benefit from the scalability and pay-per-use model of FaaS platforms. We validate Crucial with the help of micro-benchmarks and by considering various stateful applications. Beyond classical parallel tasks (e.g., a Monte Carlo simulation), these applications include representative ML algorithms such as k-means and logistic regression. Our evaluation shows that Crucial obtains superior or comparable performance to Apache Spark at similar cost (18-40% faster). We also use our framework to port (part of) a state-of-the-art multi-threaded ML library to serverless. The ported application is up to 30% faster than with a dedicated high-end server. Crucial brings all these benefits with less than 6% of changes in the code bases of the evaluated applications.
- Rémi Bouzel will present "Distributed systems at Qarnot computing" at Amphi 2 (visio link) the 22/10/2021 at 10h00
- Pierre Sutra presented "Stateful Serverless Computing with Crucial" at 4A312 the 15/10/2021 at 10h30
- Pierre Sutra presented "Stateful Serverless Computing with Crucial" at 4A312 the 12/10/2021 at 10h30
- Internship - 2A Internship: Extending the DeX API for enabling interoperability between IoT devices
- Internship - 2A Internship: Simulating IoT Data Exchange using Queueing Theory
- Internship - Optimization of data movements in a particle physics SYCL code
- Internship - Fusion de Flux de Données Hétérogènes
- Internship - Asynchronous high performance communication
- Internship - High perfomance runtime system for deep learning